Until last week, I only used to enjoy gorging on the Hyderabadi chicken biryani prepared by world’s expert cook, my mom! It was this past Sunday that everything changed, and for good! I was challenged by my younger brother – that I will not be able to prepare the grand recipe as finely as mom does.
To his shock, and my family’s surprise, I was able to pull it off well and succeeded in preparing the most mouth-watering Hyderabadi chicken biryani ever!
Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe is not that difficult, even for beginners like me. So here, I would like to discuss the recipe with you all. Do try it at home!
Things you will need.
- 1kg chicken cut into 2” pieces
- ½ cup yoghurt
- 1 ½ tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 3 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 10 green chillies split into two
- 1 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
For Garam Masala
- 10 black pepper
- 10 cloves
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon black cumin
- 1” cinnamon stick
- Spices for boiling rice
- 5 cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 1 teaspoon Shahjeera
- ½ teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- fistful salt
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 cup oil
- ½ teaspoon saffron strands
- ½ cup milk
- 4 cups Basmati Rice soaked for 30 minutes
- Wash and clean chicken pieces and drain out excessive water.
- Grind ingredients listed under garam masala powder.
- Mix all ingredients listed under marinade and marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions, and fry until golden brown.
- Soak saffron stands in hot milk.
- Boil water with ingredients listed under spices for boiling rice.
- Add rice and bring it to boil for 3 minutes on stove.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add oil and arrange marinated chicken pieces.
- Proceed by arranging a layer of boiled rice on the chicken pieces. Pour little oil all over, sprinkle-fried onions and a bit of saffron paste.
- Finally, cover the container with a lid, preferably airtight. Seal the container throughout so that steam does not escape. Allow it to cook for 10 minutes on high flame. Lower the flame and let it cook in steam for another 20 minutes.
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani with Yoghurt Salad | Image Resource : mjdelights.in
Before preparing it for serving, check the rice with the help of a long-handled spoon. It should be ready. Serve hot with spicy chicken gravy or yoghurt salad.